A Dog's Gifts

My boy needs a dog or two.

I've mentioned before how much richer my life is because I share it with dogs. Likewise, it's equally important to me that my child grow up with dogs. Humans at every age have a lot to learn from canines: their unabashed joy and unconditional love, among other gifts, are traits we should strive for at every stage in life. Our pets touch our lives so deeply in innumerable ways, teaching us while we are teaching them. Here are some of the reasons every child should have a dog:

Empathy and compassion. It's vital to me that my child learns at a young age there are other beings in his world, living creatures that feel pain and fear, joy and love. I want him to understand that his actions toward others have consequences, good and bad, and to work toward always being kind and loving because this is the right thing to do. So we learn early that you pet dogs with gentle hands,  don't poke them in the eyes with yardsticks, and for god's sake don't use them as stools to reach the kitchen sink. (Would I stand on your back like a step? No. Mostly because you're wiggly and won't hold still when I need to reach something.) More than that, I want to raise him in a setting where he is giving, and not selfish. That means walking the dog when you'd rather stay wrapped up in a blanket because the wind chill is -13 (hello, Wednesday) or throwing a ball a few times down the hallway when you'd rather sit and watch television. Yes, life is full and busy outside the home, but a dog's owner is his world and that means giving of yourself even when you don't feel like it. That's true generosity.


Respect for those smaller than you. There will always be someone -- human or animal -- smaller and weaker than my child is, and he must learn to treat them with respect and compassion. Just because you're bigger or stronger doesn't mean the other being is worthless or warrants harm. That means we don't play rough with the dogs, yank on their ears for fun, or pinch the folds on their smushed-in faces. Our dogs have sharp teeth and strong jaws that could rip our skin if they wanted, but they don't hurt us because they love us. Also because we give them food. But mostly because they love us. There's a lesson to be learned here -- just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Responsibility. Pets of any kind (except maybe cats, because cats are mostly selfish, elitist jerks) offer great lessons in responsibility. A dog relies on its owners for everything -- food, water, shelter, companionship, play, healthcare, and more. Having another's life in your hands in an enormous responsibility not to be taken lightly. Even young children like to help take care of pets because it makes them feel important. They copy what the adults do, including feeding and playing. If we don't lock the pantry, my kiddo will open the door -- not sneak cookies, but to dip the measuring cup in the dogs' food and pour a smattering of kibbles into each dog's bowl. It's what Momma does, so it must be important. Some chores are easier for him than others, though. When I tell him to put the coat on the dog so he stays warm, he literally lays the coat on top of the dog's back. It's a work in progress.

Sharing. I believe sharing is an art that is learned over a lifetime, and usually doesn't come naturally. The trick is to learn that we share because it makes others happy, and that is an important charge given to us by god. For example, our two dogs are extremely happy to share my toddler's food, which is happily offered to them when I'm not looking. The kid knows this makes the dogs jump and twirl and perform other happy tricks, which in turn makes him happy too. See? Everybody wins. Sort of.

Playmate and fellow adventurer. Other than siblings and human family, pets are often the first companions that a child has. They are buddies who provide endless entertainment. I had a Siamese cat when I was little, who happened to wear the same size dress as my Cabbage Patch doll. He wasn't amused, but I sure was. He tolerated being pushed around the house in a doll stroller and sat in the doll high chair all while wearing a mint green dress with tiny white polka-dots. He looked very debonair, I assure you. When I got older, I had a dog who would accompany me on journeys to explore the woods behind our home. We both came home muddy and tired and happy. Right now, my kiddo enjoys using the dogs for anatomy lessons. He points out their ears, eyes, and noses to me with surprising accuracy. Today he stacked pretend ice cream cones on one dog's head. I don't know how the dog felt, but my heart melted.  

Comforter and friend. Countless times in my life, my dogs' fur has been the first thing to catch my tears. They have kept me company when I was lonely, offered warmth when I got cold, and showered me with unending love. As my child grows up, I hope his dogs lick his tears, listen to his disappointments, and share in his joys. I can already see my son is learning how to love our dogs when he strokes them gently or talks about them. Every evening before bed he calls from the top of the stairs, "Night night, dogs." He's just started to call our older dog by something reasonably close to his name, so every time we leave the house he says, "Bye-bye, Weedwee."

Sadly, he might be saying bye-bye to Weedwee sooner than I'd like. As I write this, our sweet Rudy with the ice cream cones on his head is suffering from cancer. I doubt my son will remember Weedwee as he grows up, but I know he will take with him the lessons Rudy taught and the gifts Rudy has given. And I am gratefully indebted to my dog for that. 

Comments