A Note to the Boy Who Won't Slow Down

To my dear, sweet little boy --

Some days you are a stellar nebula, roiling and swirling, birthing gravity, constantly creating itself. I am interstellar space that once contained the ingredients for making your stars. Not empty but feeling that way, made of dust and protons, I watch. 

Some days you are a swollen stream bursting at your banks, rushing forward to no clear destination. Churning and frothing with barely contained hydroelectricity, you move anything in your path that you can carry. I am a rock in your waters, fixed and surrounded, trying to steal a breath.

Some days you are the hot wind barreling through the flat plains, battering anything that dares to stand in your way. I am a windmill trying to withstand your gusts without losing my blades. I whirl with frustration, struggling to draw enough water to quench my thirst during these long days. 

Some day your energy will scale the sheer faces of awesome cliffs, it will run city marathons, it will fight tirelessly to help others. Your energy will heal in an emergency room or teach enthusiastic kindergartners. Some day your energy will build grand houses, beat back voracious fires, fill plate after plate in a restaurant kitchen on Mother's Day.

We just have to make it until then.




Comments

Post a Comment